"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." -Mark Twain

Monday, May 16, 2011

Thank goodness for Mountain Dew!

So last night I was up really late.  Like, the 4am call to prayer started right after I got into bed.  But I figured it was fine, because I didn't have work today.  However, my facilitator called at 10am, asking me to come with them to work today, mostly to give them something to do.  Luckily today was shower day, so that kinda woke me up.  We went to an NGO out on the outskirts and toured around.  It was pretty fun.  Afterwards we went back to their work at the Ministry of Social Development, where I met Lauren, who is in charge of my specific assignment.  So...  I got a few more specifics.  The village I'm going to is named Saf-ha, and is by a few other villages.  Apparently the small villages are the place to make connections here in Jordan.  Anybody who's anybody works in Amman, but lives out where I'll be at.  So although my specific task is to teach English, my objective is to get to know the people and pave the way for future BYU programs out there.  No pressure, right?  As for my living arrangements, I will no longer be living with a roommate.  That makes me feel both relieved and sad.  It'll be nice to have some alone time, but I was looking forward to being overwhelmed by constant Arabic.

After walking around quite a bit (and due to some sleep deprivation) I was way tired when we were through.  But after a shawarma and a mountain dew, I was good to go!  I went back to the bookkeeper from yesterday to buy a beautiful English/Arabic Qur'an.  I figure since the Qur'an has perfect Arabic, I should probably study the two languages side by side.

And now, my friends, I am tired.  I've been at home for a while, and my good friend Mahmoud came over for a few hours, and so now I am very ready for bed.  Perhaps I shall say something profound tomorrow.

يرمي

2 comments:

  1. Why on Earth were you up so late, Jeremy? I can't imagine the reason. It's only 3:34 a.m. here right now.

    ReplyDelete