Kiara (Deveren's wife) was awesome enough to drive me to the airport last night. My flight from DC to London left at 10, and was about 7 hours. I planned on sleeping through most of it, but I always forget how uncomfortable planes are for sleeping. So, I slept a bit, and read my book on Arabic culture (I know, I'm a nerd, get over it!) ;) I got to London around 10am their time, starving! However, the Heathrow airport seems more like a classy mall than an airport, and I couldn't find anyplace cheap to eat. I was eventually led to a "cheap-ish" restaurant where I got a DELICIOUS sandwich, and some pita w/ hummus. Mmm Hmm! However, since right now the British Pound and US Dollar aren't on good terms, it was still way expensive. Sigh... I made it to my gate for my flight to Amman. There were obviously many Arabic people speaking, duh, Arabic. It was at this point that I had a mini panic attack, as they were talking REALLY fast and I couldn't really pick out anything substantial. (They mentioned they had 4 of something!) But then they turned to me and spoke in perfect English, so my fears were [somewhat] abated. The flight seemed really long because I kept drifting in and out of sleep and I kept on having really weird dreams, but I did land safely in Amman (that's for my Mom).
After changing my money, getting a visa, and going through customs, I was met by my facilitator, Annie, as well as a local man named Badr. They drove me to my temporary apt (I'll be moving in a few days out to that rural town) and we talked a ton on the way over. They made me feel very welcome and excited. It is so cool to be back in Jordan. I'm geeking out about everything: the smells, the highway signs, the drivers who don't stay in their lane, the call to prayer, etc. Once we got to my apt, my roommates were still out so we waited outside for a bit until they got there. Now, exhibit A of why I LOVE Arabic culture: As we were waiting, a boy (14 years old) came out, introduced himself, and insisted that Annie and I come in while we waited (Badr had already gone home). The father of the family is Samiir. He's from Jerash, and is a police officer here in Jordan. He has 4 sons, 2 of whom were home. The 14-year-old is named Mahmoud, and Ahmed is the oldest son (he's 23). They were so welcoming! They insisted we come in and sit down, and then Ahmed brought us both Coke. They were watching a Sylvester Stylone (sp?) movie, and then they turned it to the Madrid soccer game. While Annie was there I let her do most of the talking (they don't really know English and she's fluent in Arabic). Every once in a while they'd ask me a question and I'd have to turn and have Annie help me. But they were very nice and patient with me. Annie left to go home, and so it was just me. We just hung out and chatted (IN ARABIC!). They made sure to speak slowly for me, which was greatly appreciated. Since they live across the hall, I have a feeling that I'll get to know them very well, which is sweet 'cuz they seem like a very awesome family.
So, that's about it for now. Tomorrow we're getting the internet and phones figured out, and maybe I'll find out a mailing address. But really, just email me, 'cuz it's free! Love y'all!
يرمي
No comments:
Post a Comment