I have an important announcement to make: they do, in fact, sell peanut butter in Amman! !الحمد لله They are really small, but it looks normal! (Now if there were only some Thai food, right? haha)
So a cool story from yesterday: there's a local guy named Omar that helps out with our program. He came over and we talked to him for a bit. We know enough Arabic and he knows enough English that we got by. Mostly he was helping us with our Arabic. You see, at BYU we study Egyptian Arabic (amiyya) and proper Arabic (fus-ha). However, they speak a different dialect here in Jordan. So we get made fun of a lot. In Omar's words: "No! Egypian Arabic=False!" Speaking Egyptian is like unto speaking like a hick (no offense to my redneck friends!) ;) while speaking fus-ha is like speaking ultra proper. So he was helping us navigate the new dialect. He is originally from Iraq but left due to the war. It's an interesting experience to have something like the Iraq war become something real as I meet those personally affected by it. The reason I mention that is every once in a while he would throw in an Iraqi word, just to confuse us even more, hehe. After about 2 hours, my brain felt like it was going to explode!
Today for dinner we went over to our neighbors home for an amazing meal. I think they tried to make an American meal for us: chicken and rice... with pita. The mom kept checking that we eat that type of food in America. It was really good, and once again their generosity and hospitality abounded. We brought over some Arabic pasties (SO GOOD!) to contribute to the meal. Then we digested as we watched some soccer and... you guessed it: Sylvester Stalone! I can't wait to bring my family here (soon? pleeeease Dad? hehe) and introduce them to my new friends.
Any day now I should be leaving Amman for the desert! I'm anxious, excited, nervous. I'll keep you posted! But for now, ma'asalama!
يرمي
No comments:
Post a Comment