"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." -Mark Twain

Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Dead Sea and More!!!

Today our field trip took us to Masada, Qumran, and the Dead Sea. Masada is where the Jewish zealots had their last stand after their revolt against the Roman Empire. Now, to be honest, its just another old site. (To be fair, I’m becoming a bit desensitized to ancient ruins… particularly cisterns!) Qumran is the site where the Dead Sea Scrolls were found, and we were able to go into a museum to see some of them. But at last, the fun part of the day, we arrived at the Dead Sea. It was CRAZY!!! Let me tell you… I have never been able to float before. I think it comes from the fact that I have an abundance of fat in my torso, and none in my legs. So usually my legs start sinking right quick! But this time, my whole body just bobbed above the surface! I turned face down to try to swim, but since my legs were above the water, kicking only succeeded in making me look funny!!! I read a magazine, and even played a game of go fish! At last, I went and rubbed Dead Sea mud all over my body. Apparently that’s good for you? At any rate, it felt weirdly cool (maybe it was just fun to see all of my friends completely black!) even if it has no real value.

No comments:

Post a Comment