Last night I went with Skye to one of his student's homes for dinner. Due to some miscommunication we were 3 hours late, but they were amazingly gracious and acted as if that was precisely the time they'd been expecting us. True to form, they were
extremely kind and hospitable. The whole family spoke English pretty well, and we had a great time with them. They served us six different drinks! Holy wow! Coffee, tea, water, orange juice, pepsi, and 7up. No repeats! And of course the mansaf was delicious. It was most likely my last real dinner before heading back home. Weird. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to make mansaf once I'm back in Provoland. Dinner group? Mmmmm... I had my own little adventure before we headed home. (Just a heads up... it was a bathroom adventure. hehe). While we were waiting for the bus, I decided I should use the bathroom before we took off. A kid led me out to an outhouse with no lights and no toilet paper (just a water bucket). I concluded that I could wait. However, a few minutes later my body gave me one of those handy dandy 1 minute warnings. I grabbed some tissues, utilized a nearby flashlight, and, well, ya know.... conquered the outhouse. Gotta love these experiences abroad! On the way home there was a ton of traffic, it was the night before Ramadan. So many fireworks! So cool...
And yet, as it turns out, Ramadan isn't as exciting as I anticipated. Because everyone's fasting, not much at all is going on. So today I finished my papers, played Monopoly, and watched 5 episodes of Glee. Yeah... that exciting. I can only imagine my future conversations: "Oh! You were in Jordan for Ramadan? What was that like?" "Well... I watched a lot of Glee, and ate pizza." Yup. Luckily we live in a Christian area of Amman, so the nearby stores and restaurants were open.
Tomorrow I'm looking forward to laundry, reading, more Monopoly, and more Glee. Be excited.
يرمي
No comments:
Post a Comment