"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." -Mark Twain

Friday, August 5, 2011

And That's a Wrap

Well, it had to come to an end sometime, didn't it? I'm torn... I'm excited to be on my way home, but I'm not excited to leave. I won't say that the time flew by and I can't believe it's all over. I can. And now that I'm sitting in the Newark Liberty Airport, I'm taking a bit of time to reflect.

My last few days were great- albeit a bit underwhelming in terms of excitement. As I talked about in my last post, things slowed down. With my internship and proposal paper finished, and having seen the sites I wanted to see, the arrival of Ramadan ended up with my watching almost 2 seasons of Glee. (I'll finish the second season by the time I get to JAX... thank goodness for my lappy!) As dull as that may sound, it was nice to just sit and chill with my friends. And eat lots of hummus. Mmmmm... For our groups final dinner Annie made maglouba again, which was (once again) delicious! I love our group and I loved hanging out with them.

In reflecting on going home, I want to share a few things I'll really miss about Jordan as well as a few things I'm excited about at home.

I'll miss:
  • The hospitality... having everyone try to strike up a meaningful conversation with you
  • The call to prayer (and along with that, the general openness about religion)
  • Arabic language practice time
  • Hanging out at the ministry with Mohammed (bubbs)
  • The food (mansaf, warabot, etc) sigh...

I'm excited for:
  • Food! 
    • Mexican (in fact, I'm eating a QDoba burrito from the airport right now!)
    • Thai (get ready for it mom!!!)
    • My mom's cooking
  • Driving
  • My own bed
  • School
  • Seeing my family and friends (and being in the same time zone as them!)

A big thank you to those who followed along for my whole experience. It was awesome, and I learned a lot about the world and (as cliche as it sounds) myself. This marks the end of my international blog for now (probably until the study abroad next year), but check out my regular blog if you care to see what happens in my boring life stateside. I love you all!!!

يرمي

No comments:

Post a Comment