Wow... last night and today were both amazing!!! Last night, as I mentioned previously, we went down to the wailing wall to be with the Jews as they welcomed in the Sabbath Day. For them, it's more like a party; joyfully celebrating the coming of the Sabbath Day. I didn't take any pictures (it's offensive to them because it's considered work), but I was able to participate. So much fun! There were literally thousands upon thousands of people crammed into the plaza by the wall. A few of us were watching a group of young men dancing and singing, and when they noticed us they quickly invites us to join. It was a Jewish kanga line!!! As some danced, others beautifully sang and chanted the Hebrew script of the Old Testament. Although I don't share their beliefs, it was still very touching to watch as they joyfully welcomed the Sabbath, honoring the God whom they love.
After we got home last night, we played a massive game of Sardines (the center is 8 stories with dorms, a gym, a few theatres and lecture halls, some classrooms, and of course a few secret closet doors, so there were PLENTY of hiding spots) WAY fun! Then we all watched "The Prince of Egypt". Sigh.
Today has been my favorite thus far. We had church, and right after we all walked over to the Garden Tomb, one of the places that has been identified as possibly being the sight of Christ's burial. The other place it could be is at the church of the Holy Sepluchre. My vote (not that it matters) is for the garden tomb. The Spirit was so strong there. At all of the other holy sites we've been to, it's been cool but chaotic, with people running around, yelling, and pushy tour groups barreling their way over whoever's in their way. This was a much different experience. There were still plenty of people, and some of them were still talking much too loud, but the tranquility and Spirit of the site overcame it all. It was amazingly peaceful. We were able to all sit together and sing several hymns, among which is my favorite of all time: "I Stand All Amazed". I'll include the text at the end of this blog, because I love it that much.
But before that, I want to bear you my simple but strong testimony that Jesus is the Christ, the son of God. He was chosen from the foundations of the world to be our Savior. He came and lived a perfect life, and His motivation was the perfect love that He has for me, you, and all of God's children. Because of that love, He sacrificed His life, taking upon Him the sins and sorrows of the world. He died, was buried, and on the third day He rose again. I KNOW that this is true. In my own life, I have made mistakes both big and small, and I have felt the great cleansing power that comes from the Atonement. Above everything else, I pray that my time here will be able to strengthen my testimony of that.
"I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me,
confused at the grace that so fully He proffers me.
I tremble to know that for me He was crucified,
that for me, a sinner, He suffered, He bled and died.
I marvel that He would descend from His throne divine
to rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine,
that He should extend His great love unto such as I,
sufficient to own, to redeem and to justify.
I think of His hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt.
Such mercy, such love and devotion can I forget?
No! No! I will praise and adore at the mercy seat,
until at the glorified throne I kneel at His feet.
Oh! It is wonderful that He should care for me enough to die for me.
Oh! It is wonderful, wonderful to me"
-I Stand All Amazed, Hymn 193 in the LDS HymnBook
I agree with you about the garden tomb. I have my own theory, I think that maybe that lady that had the dreams about all the sites was actually given the other site because the Lord knew how it would become and thus preserving the sacred, peaceful nature of the actual site. Just my own theory, but you definitely feel the spirit so strongly at the garden tomb and its much easier to reflect on Christ there.
ReplyDelete